Monday, October 5, 2009

Kopitka

Kopitka are Potato Dumplings.

3 cups of mashed potatoes, (I make extra amount of potatoes when I make them for supper and just use the leftovers for this dish.)They should be cold.
I put the potatoes which have been salted according to your taste into a bowl.
I draw a cross across the bowl dividing the potatoes into 4 equal parts. Scoop out one of the quarters, fill this void with all purpose flour, add 2 eggs to this and mix together, including the scooped out potatoes, with your hand. Keep adding flour until the dough comes away from your hand and you can roll it into a long sausage like roll.
I knead and roll this out on a floured surface and then cut into one- two inch chunks.

Boil a 4quart saucepan of water, I add about 1 tbsp. of oil just so they don't stick together. When water comes to a boil toss each chunk in, do not over fill the pot with too many chunks the above portion was done in two stages. When the chunks boil for awhile, and rise to the top they are done, drain, rinse and toss with melted butter.

My family likes to top these with farmers cottage cheese. But they are great with stew, or spaghetti sauce.

No comments: