Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Ball Chicken Pineapple, or as we call them Chinese Chicken Balls

Many years ago my sister Donna took a chinese cooking class, like the food you get from take-out. Now trust me once you've made these you'll never order out again.  I serve it with Basic Fried Rice. and cucumber slices with Japenese Vinegar and Viola it's a great little supper.  I only have a photo of the chicken while I was cooking, they gobbled it up so fast I didn't get a shot of the whole shbang.

Chinese Chicken Balls
2 breasts of chicken, (cut into 1 inch cubes)

Batter for Chicken
1/2 cup water      1cup flour
1 egg                   1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vinegar       1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. oil              1 tsp. cornstarch

Mix the water, egg, vinegar and oil, then add to the flour, cornstarch and salt, and baking powder. I like to use a deep bowl, so I can wisk this all together and then dip right into it.

Heat oil in deep fryer. You only need enough to cover the pieces. Dip each cube into the batter and then directly into hot oil. Cook until golden. In class we used a wok, but since I only have one and am usually making the rest of the meal in it I just use an ordanariy pan to deep fry in. I also like to use a good quality shortening (Crisco here in Canada) but in class we used canola/vegetable oil. I did this experiment once measured the melted Crisco shortening before frying and after and it was remarkable how little actually got absorbed in my chicken balls. I also heat my oil to very hot, and then when it's actually cooking turn it down slightly so my chicken has a chance to cook. I've never found a raw piece, it just seems by the time it's browned the chicken is also cooked.

Serve with Pineapple Sauce

2tbsp. Ketchup          1/2c. pineapple tidbits
2tbsp. vinegar             2 c. water
1/2 c. brown sugar     1 c. pineapple juice
1 tbsp. tomato paste   3 tsp. cornstarch mixed with a little water.

I use canned pineapple. Drain pineapple and reserve liquid (this is your pineapple juice, if it does not measure 1 c. add water to meet the requirement). Mix ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, water, pineapple juice, tomato paste in saucepan, bring to a boil. Meanwhile mixt cornstarch and water ( add water slowly to cornstarch probably a tbsp. at a time just so you can make it a smooth liquid). Pour into boiling liquid and stir continuously until thickened, add tidbits at the end.

I serve this on the side of the chicken balls, I just found when I poured it over, they got soggy, and not all my guests liked them smothered in sauce. If I have leftovers (big IF ) my husband eats it on anything.

4 comments:

Sandi said...

These sure look and sound yummy! Now I need a deep fryer!
Hugs~

Irene said...

I actually don't use my deep fryer, I use a sort of deep saucepan, and then I can use a less amount of oil, and discard it after I use it.

Anonymous said...

We love Chinese! They sound yummy!

Erica (Irene) said...

Irene.......these look so good. We just had some Chinese Chicken Balls at The Mandarin the other day. Thanks for the recipe, I'm going to try this for sure..... have a great weekend!