Sunday, March 22, 2009

Basic Fried Rice

This is the original recipe for fried rice I have from the cooking class. Remember this was in the 70s so salt, fat and carbs were not in the forefront of our dietary awareness. Cook to desired doneness. I like my mushrooms thoroughly cooked and my shrimp not too chopped. I also add celery. I also use brown rice, or a mixture of rices. Alter as you like.

Basic Fried Rice

1 c. long grain rice ½ lb. barbecue pork, shredded.(I purchase this at our local Asian Grocery, otherwise watch for recipe on how to make your own.
2 eggs ½ lb. shrimp cooked
½ tsp. soy sauce ½ c. chopped onions *
½ tsp. salt 1 c. bean sprout
1 tbsp. oil 1 chopped green onions

Boil or steam rice as you like. Loosen up rice and let it cool. Beat eggs with a pinch of salt. Cook in fry pan as a thin omelette. When cool, chop up egg and set aside. Add 1 tsp. oil and 1 tsp. salt to a fry pan/wok and fry shrimp. Set aside. Stir fry onions* in a hot wok, for a short time add bean sprouts continue stirring for about 2 min. or until heated through, add cooked rice, shrimps, barbeque pork, . When all is heated thoroughly, add egg, soy sauce, salt if desired, green onions. Toss to mix and serve when heated through.

* The originally recipe calls for a Spanish onion, I have over the years mixed this up to a Vidallia, or a red onion, they change the taste ever so slightly. I fry the onions only enough to get the bitterness out before adding the remainder of the ingredients. You can also add mushrooms, and green peas (canned or frozen), canned peas can be drained and added just before serving, frozen peas should be added in the early stages after the onion. The mushrooms should be added before the onion as they will require a little more cooking time, stir fry these at a high temp., my preference is to have them thoroughly cooked so when the water is gone, continue recipe.

No comments: