Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The ten pound challenge


Since I've taken on the ten pound challenge, with no promises, I feel like I need to share the recipes that I will be making, not all of them low cal. Here's a favorite of mine from the " Our Favorite Recipes" printed and compiled by the West Lincoln Memorial Hospital in Grimbsby Ontario. My friend Janice is a health care provider at this hospital and I received this cookbook from her as a gift. I have used it to death. I figure I can adjust the portion for myself without cheating my family of a tasty dish. It's a big recipe, but I make as many chicken pieces as I like and adjust the cheese slice to each piece, or to my diet, and then just use the can of soup and one box of stuffing mix. If you make it bigger do the same adjustment, more soup if necessary and another box of stuffing mix. A good potluck dish.

Janet's Chicken

6 boneless, skinless chicken 1 can (10oz.) cream of chicken soup
6 slices cheese (Swiss, mozzarella or cheddar) 1 box Stove Top stuffing mix


Preheat oven to 350F. Arrange chicken in pan. Place a slice of cheese on each piece. Spread undiluted soup over cheese and chicken. Prepare stuffing mix according to package. You may need to add 1/4c. extra water so stuffing is moist. Top casserole with stuffing. Bake uncovered for 1 hr. Chicken should be white without any trace of pink when pierced. *I cut the chicken into 1 inch cubes, this reduces the cooking time to about 45 min. and then I don't have to eat the whole breast. (just reducing some calories) Serve with a large green salad. I've also used mushroom soup, broccoli or asparagus soup in place of the cream of chicken. You can use the sodium reduced one successfully as well and as low a calorie cheese as you can find works too. Enjoy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

O.K. I don't use 6 breast, I only used two and they were cut up, but the remainder was as is in the recipe.

Anonymous said...

A delicious easy recipe I'm sure, however some of the ingredients i.e. cream soup (any kind) and cheese are very high in fat. The skinless chicken however is great. Try an alternative. Costco sells an all natural salsa "Jacks". Place your chicken breast on a piece of tin foil. Cover with the salsa, wrap and bake or BBQ for about 30 minutes. Tastes great and very healthy. Alternative to chicken is you favorite piece of fresh fish.