Saturday, April 11, 2009

Buraczki, Beets in Horseradish

This is a festive staple at the Polish table. Choose 5 or 6 medium size beets. I like to steam these, I don't peel them until they are cooked to fork tenderness. When they are cool, I grate them and add a little vinegar approx. 1tbsp. 1 tsp. salt, and horseradish also to taste. For me it's usually 50/50. Mix well, put into a jar with a tight lid. Store in Refrigerator.

This is absolutely great with ham, and KIELBASA. My husband and I add it to our Barszcz at Christmas Time. I serve it at breakfast on Easter morning along with our ham and eggs. Enjoy.

One year before we were married, my husband thought he would score points with my mom and decided to grate the horseradish himself, (he was cheap even back then) Well we started in the kitchen and the fumes were so strong he ended up on the porch, in the cold, never accomplished much, it was just too strong a fragrance, burned your eyeballs and squeezed your lungs.
Needless to say he got a 0 for a job not too well done, but she still let him watch Wrestling with her.

No comments: