Sunday, April 12, 2009

Lost in translation


I thought I better let you know how I make that white barszcz (Zurek). I start with that Saturday Soup that we eat on Sunday. *I add the mixture that I purchased at my local Polish Deli. The label was somewhat decieving, but once I got my Polish mind going, I figured this must be it, it's a very literal translation."Sour Soup" refers to the method used to obtain the results required for this particular soup. I was so delighted when I read the label at how low in fat this was( 0%), then I remembered I was going to whisk in 1/2 pint 35% cream. Sometimes I find this a little lacking in flavour so I'll add some Vegeta (similar to oxo cubes, but more flavour). And that is it, heat thoroughly. I serve it with hard boiled eggs, horseradish, kielbasa and rye bread. Refrigerate leftovers.

Now you can make this mixture yourself. Place 1 loaf of rye bread in a 2 gallon crock and fill the crock with boiling water. Cover with cheese cloth and allow to sit for 2 -3 days, until it sours. Hence the name "Sour Soup" Strain the liquid and refrigerate liquid until use. Place the liquid in a 6 quart pot and add the 2 1/2 tsp. salt,, 1 3/4 tsp. pepper and 1 1/2 tsp. sour salt (citric acid), bring to a boil. And now you can continue from *.


If I'm not making this for easter and just feel like it, and I do, Nardini Sausage goes great in it. Nardin Sausage is located in Stoney Creek Ontario. Or if you have a favorite sausage by all means experiment. Cook sausage,any way you like, slice and add to soup.

No comments: