Thursday, April 2, 2009

Roasted Garlic and Artichoke Pizza

This is a recipe from The Barn School of Cooking. Pizza without tomato sauce!


Roasted Garlic and Artichoke Pizza

Pizza dough for a 12- inch pizza
1 tsp. hot pepper flakes
1 head roasted garlic*
1 c. grated Asiago cheese
½ c. chopped prosciutto (approx. 50 gr.)
1 398 ml. can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered.

Gently work pepper flakes into pizza dough (This is store bought pizza dough) Roll out dough into 12 inch circle. Place dough on greased pizza pan.

Spread garlic on dough and top with ½ c. Assiago cheese and all the prosciutto. Arrange artichoke hearts on top, sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Bake at 500 degrees for 12 – 15 min. or until crust is golden brown.

Makes 2 or 3 main course servings or 12 appetizers.

*Roasted Garlic . To roast garlic, cut top off pointed end of garlic bulbs. Place on shiny side of aluminum foil and wrap. Bake at 400degree for 1 hour or until tender. Once cooled, squeeze pulp from garlic bulb. Can be frozen for up to 3 months.


If you are like me, you will not put the oven on for an hour at 400 degrees, for just one head of garlic. So, I usually plan this meal and schedule it in during one of the days that I have a roast in or I'm baking for the whole day. With Easter fast approaching, I know I will be baking, so this pizza is usually made for me, (my son and husband don't like something or other on the pizza, too bad, it's delicious.) I usually made it for us as we were painting eggs on Wednesday night, and they got to have a pizza with their own toppings on it. Remember the garlic flavor subsides and it's quite sweet after roasting. I've actually skipped the prosciutto, added more artichokes and loved it. Sasha loves roasted garlic in his potatoes. I think I might give the dough a try with a recipe from my Artisan Bread in Five Minutes. Enjoy

No comments: