Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Broccoli Casserole

O.K. I'm going to skip along from my cookie plates. I had a reluctant eater in my early stages of motherhood. It was as though he was born in an Italian household, only pasta after the age of 2. Prior to that he ate very well, I was going through birthday cards and on the back of his 1st Birthday I had written what he liked to eat.(collecting evidence) Leek and Mushroom soup was on the menu of the day. He loved it. Now I'm sure I'd have to pay him to eat a bowl of mushroom soup. Both my guys will still eat Chicken soup (homemade)but not interested in much else. Anyway I was told this Christmas that I was slacking off, because he hadn't had his broccoli lately. Apparently "I love broccoli casserole". (News to me) anyway maybe someone you love will love it too. It's been pretty much a staple at any family dinners and I'm kinda of sick of making it so I didn't, but here it is.

Broccoli Casserole
2 pkg. broccoli
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup mayonnaise
2 eggs
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 tbsp. onion shredded *
Salt & pepper to taste
1 can sliced mushrooms drained
Ritz crackers crumbled

Steam broccoli, leaving it crisp and in bite size pieces.
Combine eggs, soup, mayo, cheese (reserving 1/2c.) onion if using, and sliced mushrooms if using. Toss with broccoli, spread in large oven proof dish, sprinkle with additional cheese and top with crumbled crackers. Bake at 350 degree about 35-45 min. or until the mixture resembles a quiche. Serve. Refrigerate leftovers.

1 comment:

me again said...

My SIL does a down-and-dirty version of this that all the men and kids love.....only 3 ingredients. Put defrosted frozen broccoli, well drained and patted dry, into a casserole dish. Cover with a tin of cream of mushroom soup. If you are making a big casserole with lots of broccoli, like for a big family get-together, use 2 tins. Just spoon on the soup trying to spread it as best you can. Cover with shredded sharp cheddar cheese. Be quite generous if you wish. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, but can go longer, especially if you cover it with foil at first, then remove foil after 20 minutes or so. That's it. This is the only way my SIL's husband will eat broccoli. My son loves it too :-)

(But he likes broccoli just about every which way....)

I am going to try your casserole. I think we'd like it even better :-)

==lennie==