Monday, February 15, 2010

Memories of dumplings./ Lany kluski

Last night, it was Valentine's Day, my son was working till 8:30p.m. and I just can't do dinner that late, so I thought my husband and I would have a hearty bowl of soup to tide us over till then. If the soup isn't filled with stuff, my husband considers it water. So while the chicken soup was delicious, I decided to make these dumplings to put in along with the veggies. The first time I met my husbands grandfather he was making these, he managed to get them lovely and thin and evenly distributed amongst us. I'm not that good. After reading the Pioneer's Woman Reflections, I thought I must post this little recipe just because. My mother made these as well, but she always put them into warm milk, which just didn't rock my world, so I don't. I consider this an alternative to noodles.

2large eggs, whisk, measure 1/2c. of flour and add gradually,(the more flour you use the harder these will be, so if you achieve thickness, because your eggs are smaller, stop adding flour, keep whisking until your batter is really smooth, it should be sort of thick, and cling to your fork, or spoon.
Boil a pot of water, and salt if you desire. Drop batter by tsp. full, slowly, so the batter hits the boiling water and forms some kind of shape, the less condensed the batter is when it hits the water the softer and tastier the noodle is. When all your noodle/dumplings rise to the top and your water returns to boil, they are done. Drain, I rinse, but I'm not sure you have to. Divide noodle/dumplings up into bowls, pour hot soup over and enjoy. May be served with stew as well.

1 comment:

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

You are a good grand daughter in law. Great that you are keeping a family recipe going.

Thanks for sharing. I shall try if out. Looks simply enough.