Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I'm Popeye the Sailor Man... I eats my spinach

My youngest son (we'll call him S. Vincent) loves to eat his lunch out at school by Thurs, he's had enough. I swear pizza is flowing through his veins. Anyway he always talks about Popeye' I'm thinking when did we ever see Popeye eat shrimp or chicken it was spinach. So here's my inspiration for POPEYE's healthy menu. Fat chance. I've never eaten at |Popeye's and I probably will never, since I have such issues with eating fast food chicken, but bom appetit.


Red Pepper Chicken with Spinach and Pine Nuts

This my adaptation of a recipe from Guiliano Bugiallis crunchy and colourful “Calamari in Zimino, squid with spinach, (I don’t do squid, but I love spinach) the recipe also calls for the use of olive oil, well if you watch Dr. Oz you know that when you heat olive oil it becomes a trans fat, not to mention that I don’t care for the smell of hot olive oil. I use my olive oil to dip the bread, I’m not suppose to be eating and to toss the salad.

4 boneless/skinless chicken breast, cut into strips

Mix together the following and marinade the chicken

½ c. white wine

2 tbs. paprika

½ tsp salt

½ tsp pepper

¼ -1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

1 ½ lbs. spinach cooked and squeezed out.

In a wide skillet or wok, heat oil, add chicken and marinade and stir fry 3 minutes. Remove and keep warm.

3tbsp. oil

2 small onions, chopped

2 carrots*, chopped

1 red pepper chopped

½ c. pine nuts

1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice*

Sauté onions, carrots and red pepper for 2 min. add chicken and spinach, and pine nuts, stir fry for 3-4 min. to blend.

*I didn’t care for the carrots in this so I replaced them with ½ lb. chopped mushrooms, these need to sauté a little longer, so delay adding the red pepper, pine nuts and spinach until they are cooked to desired doness. When this has all been combined squeeze out the lemon on top (did you know you get more vitamin bang for your buck when you add a citrus to the spinach, more iron absorption, I think)

Serve with buttered noodles and parmesan cheese. Or creamy risotto. Yummy.


See no fried chicken or shrimp in a basket.

1 comment:

Sandi said...

I couldn't watch the video being on dial up internet, but the recipe looks yummy! We use olive oil a lot.
Thanks for sharing!!
Blessings~