Friday, March 27, 2009

Yet another delicious recipe

My sister makes this salad, and I had to add it to my book, I hope you enjoy it.


Mandarin Salad

2 heads Romain lettuce hearts
3/4 - 1 cup pecan halves toasted
2 oranges - peeled and sliced OR 1 can mandarin oranges (drained)
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. salt
1/2 small red onion chopped
1 tsp dry mustard
2 Tbsp. water


Mix the vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, mustard and water. It will become syrupy. Let it stand
Arrange your lettuce with the sliced red onion.
Toast the pecans in the toaster oven..... I do not bake them.... I just put them on the TOAST cycle for about 4 min. Watch them carefully, so they do not burn.... you will need to stand and watch them as they are toasting..... The toasting improves the flavour of the pecans.

Toss your salad with the dressing..... add the mandarins and pecans and lightly toss again. You may want to add more mandarins if desired.

No comments: