Saturday, March 14, 2009

Won Ton Soup

Won Ton Soup

½ lb. won ton skins
4oz. minced pork
4 oz. minced shrimp
1 tsp. memi
2 tbsp. white wine
Pinch salt and pepper
3 ½ c. pork stock
1 egg

Add to soup
¼ lb. snow peas
1 doz. Sliced water chestnuts
2 leaves Buk Tuey (chopped)
2 green onions ( chopped)
½ tsp. memi

Mix the pork, shrimp, salt, pepper and white wine. Put ½ tsp. of the filling in the centre of each skin. Fold over and dampen one side with egg and pinch together. Cook the won ton very gently in boiling salted water for 15 minutes. Then drain and put into individual bowls.

Bring pork stock to a boil, add the snow peas, water chestnuts and buk tuey, green onions and memmi. Pour over the won tons and serve.


Notes
I don’t care for water chestnuts so I leave them out, and I use my own stock, not usually pork. I also like my snow peas cooked a little more, still crisp but cooked so I delay adding the buk tuey and green onions and memmi for about 7 minutes while I heat thoroughly the soup. Buk Tuey is a leafy herb available at Chinese grocery stores, or I have used parsley instead. Memmi is a milder soy sauce, which you can use instead if you can’t find memmi.

No comments: