Monday, February 2, 2009

Angel Food Cafe

I few years ago we took my mother out to the Angel Food Cafe in Grimsby Ontario, for her birthday. The chef there made a incredibly delicious soup. He also sold the spices for that soup. I've been saving this spice for special occasions, because for some reason the cafe is no longer open, and thus the spices are no longer available. I wish I knew someone in a CSI lab so they could tell me what was in this great mixture. So Sunday's soup was Sweet Potatoe and Parsnip. My husband doesn't particularly care for the angel mixture, so I kept it for myself. If anyone knows this chef please beg him for the spice recipe. Here it is ...

Sweet Potatoe and Parsnip

1 med. to large sweet potatoe
1 parsnips
3 cups stock, about
1/4 c. heavy cream

I steamed these two, after peeling and cutting into approx. the same size pieces. When they were fork tender, I mashed them coarsely with a potatoe masher. Add stock to desired consistency. Just before serving whisk in cream. Serve with a great rye bread. Ambrosia I say... * I put 1/4 tsp. of my angel mixture into my bowl and BAM is not a strong enough word to describe it.

Remember I'm using the stock I made on Saturday night so I've been able to control the salt and fat.

3 comments:

anne nagel said...

Hi,
I'm flattered you wrote about the Angel.
I'm Anne and my husband John was the chef.
After 11 years, we sold the restaurant and moved to Nova Scotia for a slower pace of life. We were tired from working 14 hour days, 6 days a week. We have often considered opening another restaurant here, but then come to our senses and just do alot of entertaining with our friends so we can enjoy the time too. I'll let you know if John ever writes a cook book with all of his recipes.

JChar said...

I'd like to second that sentiment - the Angel Food Cafe soup is the best I've ever had. I'd love to find out what goes in that soup spice!

cate said...

Re Angel Cafe soup mix

HI anne and John,
please package up some of your soup mix and send it. We love love love it - I have just enough left for soup for my dad's birthday - hoarding it in fact for this occasion. My kids are crazy for it - only way that I can persuade them to eat root veggies! What would it take to entice you to package up a case or so???
Cate
ctaugh@cogeco.ca