Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Beets that are really good ...

Sasha works tonight so it will be a dinner with just my husband and I. I always get away with having what I like on those nights. So beets it is. I found this recipe on a tag attached to the beets, made it and loved it. I'm not sure what any of the food values are or fat content or calories but what the heck, I'm not frying, or adding cream so I'm up one.

Baked Grated Beets

5 medium sized beets shredded
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 smallish potato, grated
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 tbsp. white vinegar
2 tbsp. brown sugar ½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. water ¼ tsp. pepper.

Place beets in a greased 1 quart casserole. Add onions and potato. In a small bowl, stir together oil, vinegar, sugar, water, salt and pepper. Stir into vegetable mixture, cover tightly, and bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 min. Stir once or twice during cooking. Makes 4 serving.

After I make a dish once, I try to reduce the fat and sugar so that’ll be tonight’s adventure. I used a non-stick casserole so I skipped the greasing of the dish. Enjoy.

4 comments:

jojo said...

are this beets the red one?We used this when we make russian salad.I think i try your recipe,thanks

Irene said...

yes red beets.

Anonymous said...

Love beets but always find them hard to clean and/or peel. Any suggestions?

Irene said...

I don't wash my beets before peeling, unless they are covered in dirt. And then I bought these gloves that clean potatoes for baking, they work great. Wash the beets in cold water after peeling. I use a potatoe peeler. If you don't have to cut or shredded the beets, bake in tinfoil just like a potatoe the skin then just slides off. I shred and peel over the sink and then just rinse everything.